Blogger Stalking or Narcissism?

Tuesday, June 13, 2006
I was recently going through the “Next Blog” button on Blogspot and I ran into a vein of bloggers worried about the amount of unknown people visiting their blog. This is not the first time I read someone’s blog who was paranoid about this.

They actually labeled somebody that regularly visits their blog without leaving comments as a stalker. So they expect anyone browsing their page to leave a comment. This sounds ridiculous to me. I would guess that 90% of the readers to any particular blog never leave comments but I would not call them stalkers. How can you possibly stalk someone by simply reading their blog?

I get over 100 hits per week but only about 4 different people leave comments; this is probably normal. Are these other 96 people stalkers? NO!!

The whole purpose of publishing to a public page is for people to read your posts, right? If you are so concerned about strangers reading your writings then do not publish to a public forum. Why are they are so paranoid about strangers reading their writing and returning to read them everyday? And how in the hell can you be stalked in a public blog when you voluntarily put stuff there?

A stalker is someone who shows up at your house or calls you on the phone and knows you but you do not know them, it can be scary. Don’t belittle people who are actually stalked by comparing yourself to them because somebody reads your blog.

I can almost understand if you are get many anonymous comments that seem to come from the same person but just disable anonymous comments and be done with it. Likewise, I can almost understand if you get annoying emails from some unknown person, but then remove your email from publication and set a rule within your email client to move their email automatically into the deleted items and be done with it. Why all the fuss?

The only explanation I can possible fathom is these people are so narcissistic, they believe people would only read their stuff because they harbor some form of attraction to them. Unless you are putting naked pictures of yourself on your blog all people can do is read what you write.

Can somebody explain to me how these individuals can think somebody reading a blog be considered a stalker? I just cannot come up with anything.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Kitten wtw said...

I get mad when some people come to my blog and take pictures. The reason I know they do is because I see them posted on a forum and that person is talking credit for it. I took the time to find them, edit them and upload them to my site.

As for strangers reading it, I do not care. I do not post anything of too personal nature on there. My family and me RL friends do not read it, Well some do and I have to change the names LOL.

I read a lot of blogs and recently I have noticed some people complaining about strangers reading their blog and leaving comments. One women really irritates me especially. She has been a blogger from way back and her blog is well known. She lives in Manhattan and blogs about her perfect life, with her perfect husband. It's well written and she takes fabulous pictures. However at least once every few months she complains that other women are copying her blog. I have news for her, she isn't the only happily married women in a America with the Martha Stewart life..... She recently changed her blog so only if you are close personal friend you cannot leave a comment. Oh well..

12:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

NO SHIT! Um helloooooooo!!! This is the internet people!

I'm glad you wrote about this instead of me, because I'd have just been really mean. :)

6:20 PM  
Blogger Law Fairy said...

Actually, darth, you've got it mixed up -- I am a stalker!! Mwahahaha! I'm an especially clever stalker because everywhere I visit I leave my IP address so that with a little bit of thought you can figure out who's stalking you! Mwahahahaha!

8:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love next blog. I hope that the folks I visit come visit me. It's only stalking if you are caught in the bushes, anyway.

3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home