Big Brother Update

Tuesday, June 13, 2006
UPDATE on Big Brother post:

I had a bad blogger day yesterday. Apparently I got my story wrong about the government snooping and I want to apologize for this and set the story straight.

I attended a meeting about this letter minutes before my vacation so my mind was not really on work at the time. But the letter informed us that we are subject the same CALEA regulations as a public phone company. The question was then raised as to what we would do IF we were asked to open ports to allowing this monitoring.

This letter is similar to what we received. This was sent to prepare us for the eventual “letter” in which we will be required to allow the snooping. So this letter did not ask us to open ports, it just stated that our phone switch must be CALEA compliant so we can be monitored in the future. So we had to inventory our phone switch and compare it to the list of compliant phone switches.

I was in a hurry to leave for vacation and apparently my mind was not in the meeting at all. In fact, I even left early to get a head start on traffic. It was not until I read the meeting notes today that I realized my error. I still cannot publish the original letter but the link to the one is very similar.

Here are some other links regarding this law:

http://www.fcc.gov/calea/
http://www.askcalea.net/faqs.html#14

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home