Summer of Filmth

Thursday, August 03, 2006
Now that the summer is winding down and all of the supposed blockbuster movies have been released, this should go down as the most disappointing movie season ever. As a movie goer I look forward to the summer for the movies but this year I was disgustingly disappointed.

Before the reviews of the bad, let’s look talk about one of the best films ever that was just released to DVD...........................

“Remember, remember, the fifth of November, the gunpowder treason and plot. I know of no reason why the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot.”

V for Vendetta is in my personal top three films of all time. The writing is incredible; at times this film is pure poetry. The acting is also just as strong; all the characters were played perfectly.

The real strength of this film is the message it conveys that people should not be afraid of government, government should be afraid of people. I try to convey similar messages and ideas with this blog. The events of the film are very realistic as many of them are happening today (some of which I have written about).

Maybe I just like the film because I can really identify with the character V. I felt this strange connection with him. I could almost speak his words before he spoke them and I definitely could give you a detailed list of his thoughts and why he thought the way he did. Scary!!

The best line of all (and there were many best lines) was at the end when the big bad guy was shooting him while screaming “Why Won’t you die!!” and V says, “Under this mask is more than just flesh and bone. It’s an idea................ and ideas are bulletproof!” It brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it.

Save your money and wait to rent all of the summer films from this year’s pathetic crop. Below are a few of the films I was looking forward to seeing this summer but all were either retreads or just not that good:

Lady In The Water: M. Night Shyamalan has made some of my favorite films so I was eagerly awaiting this new film. It started off very promising but then it spiraled into a convoluted piece or crap. It felt like I was watching an Adam Sandler movie which always makes me feel like things are being made up as they go. Paul Giamatti was excellent but even his strong performance could not save this sinking ship.

Superman: With the Batman Begins one of last year’s best films, I was hoping the super hero genre would return again to its proper place as number one. Especially with Superman, the king of all super heroes and a Christopher Reeves look alike at the helm. Wrong!! The writers of this film attached Superman with the odious label of a babies daddy. The child support enforcement agencies were probably glad to see Superman return from his journey to Krypton but I wish he would have stayed.

Pirates of The Caribbean (POTC): The first film is still one of my all time favorites and based upon the previews, part 2 looked just as good. However I forgot to factor in the third movie. All this film did was leave you hanging for part 3. I don’t like cliffhangers that span different movies. I paid my $8 so rap it up. I didn’t pay you $3 this year with the promise of $5 next year but that is what you do to me when you span plots over multiple films.

Mission Impossible 3: Probably the best of the summer but I cannot remember much about the film other than I liked it.

DaVinci Code: I liked the film but Tom Hanks finally blew one. His performance was weak and the chemistry between him and the female lead was horrible. I also think this move should have been about twenty minutes shorter.

Everything else was complete tripe. Maybe there were a few cartoons worthy of mention but a man wants to eat meat. Cartoons are a good dinner salad but I need action, suspense, plot, and believable characters. I am not spending $8 to watch a bunch of cars or animals running around, talking and goofing off; that does not hold my attention for too long. I’ll wait for the DVD and rent those for two bucks.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home