Where do you want to eat?

Friday, April 07, 2006
My son and I have been having interesting conversations for years. When we talk I try to make him think about what he is saying no matter what the topic.

When he was five years old we were in line at a Blockbuster and I was trying to convince him the ant in Bug’s Life was the same actor who played the ant in Antz. He told me it couldn't possible be the same actor because the ants were different colors and only one had antennas; smart kid. We had the whole place in stitches.

Well, last night we were trying to choose a place to eat; keep in mind he is now fourteen years old:

Me: Where do you want to go eat?
Son: I don’t know, where do you want to go?
Me: Something good, no fish heads tonight. (inside joke)
Son: How about Quizno’s? They’re good.
Me: Do they have tomatoes, vine-ripened tomatoes?
Son: Yea!
Me: I hate tomatoes.
Son: They have green peppers. You like green peppers.
Me: I hate green peppers. Do they have cheese?
Son: Yes!
Me: I hate cheese. How about meat? Do they have any meat?
Son: No they don’t have any meat.
Me: Crap! I love meat!!
Son: They have lots of meat, dad.
Me: Well, I hate that kind of meat!
Son: How about Chinese?
Me: Do they have rice?

He is a straight-A student but with a crazy man like me for a dad; I don’t know how he does it.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a 15 year of niece, that for some reason my brother says has the same type of personality as me. (I don't know how thrilled he is with that...LOL) I always push her to question life, and to learn at every opportunity. So this leads to conversations similar to the one that you had with your son, and every once in awhile she nails me with something totally unexpected. On the rare occasion that she can get me speachless, I am so proud of her. This is the only way that the youth of today will learn to think outside of the box

12:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Just wait until he's an angsty teenager.

6:05 AM  
Blogger DarthImmortal said...

Liz,

He actually still listens to me, as long as I approach him in a positive manner. We still play chess together and other games.

Thanks everybody for the comments. :)

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home