Democratic Agenda

Thursday, November 16, 2006
The Democrats released their agenda for the first 100 hours of Congress and the issues they want to address:

• We will start by cleaning up Congress, breaking the link between lobbyists and legislation and commit to pay-as-you-go, no new deficit spending.

• We will make our nation safer and we will begin by implementing the recommendations of the independent, bipartisan 9/11 Commission.

• We will make our economy fairer, and we will begin by raising the minimum wage. We will not pass a pay raise for Congress until there is an increase in the minimum wage.

• We will make health care more affordable for all Americans, and we will begin by fixing the Medicare prescription drug program, putting seniors first by negotiating lower drug prices. We will also promote stem cell research to offer real hope to the millions of American families who suffer from devastating diseases.

• We will broaden college opportunity, and we will begin by cutting interest rates for student loans in half.

• We will energize America by achieving energy independence, and we will begin by rolling back the multi-billion dollar subsidies for Big Oil.

• We will guarantee a dignified retirement, and we will begin by fighting any attempt to privatize Social Security.

Very impressive! Now let’s hope that they stick to the plan and actually do something. Maybe it’s just my nature but I am waiting for gridlock or something else to prevent any of these from being accomplished. It hasn't happened in my life time yet, so I remain cautiously optimistic.

I also heard rumors of a deadline to get the troops out of Iraq. Under the circumstances I think we have to pull out. If we are not going to send adequate troop levels to safeguard the lives over there, then what it the point? My gut still tells me that we need some type of presence in case the violence spreads to the neighboring countries.

You should also notice a change to the blog. At the bottom of all posts there are now labels. If you click on any of them they will link to all postings within the category. For example, if you wanted to view all of the paranormal writings then find an article with paranormal writings as a label and click on it. You should get a list of all postings with paranormal investigations as a topic. I have added many different categories so you can search for specifics and get results. Labels include: creative writing, love stories, pictures, paranormal investigations, politics, religon, my life, sports, baseball.

As a follow up to the Charter Scum posting, AT&T cannot install a satellite dish on my house because of the trees. I have no choice but to stay with Charter so my email address will not be changing. I did keep the call notes service on my phone though.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Barbarian02003 said...

So cut the trees down.

I think the minimum wage thing will pass easily enough. We've been waiting a long time. As for the rest, I'll beleives it when I sees it.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Kitten wtw said...

Isn't minimum wage suppose to be for first time jobs? Isn't that why it's called minimum wage? Isn't the idea to work your way up the ladder? It should be raised but people shouldn't depend on minimum wage to make a living.

10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home