Goodbye Charter Scum

Tuesday, November 07, 2006
Well I finally blew a cog and switched all of my services away from Charter. When I received my recent bill and saw it went from $86.23 to $114.92, I finally reached a breaking point. Considering two months ago the same thing happened and it took me an hour on the phone being transferred between departments until finally I said that I wanted to cancel. Then I was transferred to a department that took care of me.

It only took Charter two months to screw it all up again. This time, the guy told me for the past two months they were giving me a special discount because my previous package expired and since I complained they did not want to loose me as a customer. I have been a Charter customer for the past ten years and I have never been late on a payment. I would have continued to be a Charter customer for another 10 years but they had to fuck with me over and over again. I understand you have to raise rates but $114 for TV and Internet is unreasonable. They have to at least remain competitive, which they are no longer anymore.

Charter Internet service 3MB: $45.93
AT&T Internet service 3MB: $24.95
Charter cable television (approximately 60 channels plus HBO): $68.99
AT&T cable television (approximately 120 channels plus HBO): $40.99
Those are not promotional rates from AT&T either; those are the normal rates. The promotions are just freebies and temporary discounts I got from switching from a competitor which I'll explain later.

Anyway, when I saw the bill this month I finally snapped. This is not something I ever wanted to do. I am quite comfortable with my email address. I have had it for several years so everybody knows how to reach me. I had to pull the trigger because of Charter’s continuous lack of customer service, and constantly raising of my rates to unreasonable levels.

I called AT&T and bundled phone, satellite, and Internet for $107. So I will save about $50 per month if you include the phone service and long distance. For the $107 I get every local phone option including call notes and caller ID, unlimited long distance, 3MB Internet and 120 television channels plus local channels and HBO. I also finally get a DVR and a true HD hook up to my big screen TV. Now I can finally watch football in high definition. No more shittty picture quality from Charter. Their dumb ass DVR has at least a three month waiting list and it costs an extra $10 per month.

Since I switched from a competitor I will get three months of Internet for free and they will also knock $10 off my satellite bill for the next ten months. So I will only be paying $72 for the next three months and after that $97 for the next seven months. When all of the discounts settle down the bill will be $107.

I have been getting screwed by Charter for years and only just realized it because they decided to get even greedier. So Charter can kiss my hairy white ass!!! They are CANCELLED effective friday!!!!

PS: Don’t forget to vote today. Even if you are some sort of weird conscientious objector, drop the negative attitude and exorcise your right as an American citizen. If you don’t want to vote then move to Cuba or North Korea; you'll fit right in with either of those countries.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger hsdajr said...

Congratulations, I will have to look into that as well, although...

AT&T is the company that changed their policy so that your customer information is considered their's, which they can release to the government without a court order now. In fact, it has been confirmed in St. Louis and San Francisco (and I'm sure others by now), that there is already a "wiretap" in place that all information feeding through AT&T lines is fed into the NSA.

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2006/06/21/att_nsa/index_np.html

But then, if I understand it correctly, any data passing through their lines gets picked up.

2:30 PM  
Blogger Issy said...

Ha! I LOVED this entry from you. I too am a Charter basher. I finally a few years ago went to the place where they let you turn in your unit or pay your bill and couldn't quite understand why the broad was behind bullet proof glass. I approached the window and got the run around. I became irate and told her that I now understand why they have bullet proof glass for their employees. Now I live down south. It was a saturday and I was so livid that I drove up to th main office off of Manchester. No one was there, but if you happen to drive past there (Manchester and 270) you can see where your 10 years of patronage has gone to. Their building alone just screams "Thanks for the dough St. Louis!"

9:33 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

i don't know of that company but my goodness does it matter...either side of the border it seems, we have the same problem, awful, irresponsible and greedy companies that take us all without any shame..

i'm hoping that your moved will be profitable.

good luck friend..

8:17 PM  
Blogger DarthImmortal said...

Andyr,
You do a great job of pissing in my Wheaties! LOL!! I do remember reading that and I even posted a blog about it a few months back. Now I'm really screwed.

Issy,
That is too funny! They do have bullet proof glass probably for that reason. LOL!!!

Chana,
Choosing between AT&T and Charter is like choosing between a kick to the balls or a needle to the eye. Either way you loose.

Thanks for the comments.

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So does this mean your email address has changed? My brother pays a fortune for cable and internet but our speed is awesome!

xxx

9:08 AM  
Blogger hsdajr said...

Well, what are Great Friends FOR, after all! LOL
I'll have the damn business card layout for you this friggin' weekend. I've been putting lots of hours on our Media Players...
Starting to finally make headway.

9:48 AM  
Blogger DarthImmortal said...

Kitten,
My email address will change but when I get the new one I will update my profile so we can all still keep in touch.

2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home