Alton Tours Reviewed

Friday, October 20, 2006
This is the third year I have attend the haunted tours of Alton. I attend the tours only to socialize and build a bigger network of friends. These tours are also a good resource for learning a detailed history of each location. I also wanted to run some new theories by a few of the other investigators and try to get into some of the more notorious haunted locations. This year I had an exceptionally awesome time visiting with both touring companies.

First of all I have to say that both tours are run by incredibly talented and professional people. With that being said there are some strengths and weaknesses of both companies. So here is my review of both touring companies.


Antoinette’s Haunted History Tours
Witching Hour Tour: $42 per person


Antoinette started the tours in Alton, and it is important to know this company was the first and undoubtedly still is the best. Antoinette and her daughter Alixandria are very knowledgeable of the history and hauntings of Alton. Their trolley tours offer the best value for your dollar.

The trolley tours give the best history and show you the most interesting places in Alton. The most important aspect of these trolley tours is that they change from year to year. So you get an opportunity to actually get off the trolley and visit at least three different locations every year. Last year was much better than this year as we got to visit the Milton School, a haunted Art Museum and McPike Mansion (three of the best hauntings in Alton). This year was not as good as the best place was a private residence but it was still exciting.

You can opt for a meal with your tour for an additional $13 or forget the meal and just get going. While the meal is excellent quality, I prefer to spend more time visiting the locations and listening about the history; so I prefer tours without the meal.

The only negative thing about the Antoinette Tours is their tour guides are not the best public speakers. They use family members and friends, which is alright as long as the individual is a good public speaker which is not often the case.

While their tour guide Gary is very knowledgeable and does not require a script, our tour guide David was not that good. They have four tour guides: Alixandria, Aurora, David and Gary but I have only heard the two guys. I have had the opportunity to talk with Alixandria and Aurora and find them to be very friendly and very knowledgeable of the area. I also hear they are both very gifted psychics.


Ghosts of The Prairie
Cost: $30 for the expanded tour per person


This group came around after Antoinette. This is still a good tour but it is important to note this is just a walking tour of the general area around their bookstore and is the same tour year after year. So once you see this one, there is not point at seeing it again. The best value for your money is the Antoinette tour.

Another problem with this tour compared with the Antoinette tour is we only got to visit two places with the best being the Unitarian Church. And while I really liked the Unitarian Church it just wasn’t the better value compared with the other tour which offered an additional visit.

The best thing about this tour is Len Adams. Len was our tour guide and although we just walked around the general area of the bookstore, his public speaking and stories are the best. He needed no scripts and added a touch of humor keeping everyone on the tour loose and smiling. He reminds me of my grandpa telling ghost stories around the fire during camping trips. He is just a very entertaining and likeable guy. I recommend this tour just to meet him and hear his stories.

By the way, he just released his first book, “And There I Was….” co written with Troy Taylor. I hear his second book will be entirely containing his exclusive stories. I can’t wait for that one; I know it will be good.

Conclusion

I really do not know how either one of these groups declares a location haunted other than to relay on the information and stories gathered from third parties. Len Adams offered personal accounts of situations and encounters but never offered any scientific data to back his stories. Antoinette’s crew did not offer personal accounts and focused on the stories of individuals actually living or working in a particular location.

While that might be good for the average person attending the tour, I want the scientific data. It doesn’t impress me if somebody feels threatened or hears a noise. That noise could be a loud furnace.

Another reason I like the Antoinette group better than the Ghosts of the Prairie group is Antoinette offers help for people under attack. I realize some people out there are under attack by evil spirits and I want to offer help for these people. This is the reason I felt “called” to be a paranormal investigator, because people often need help. Antoinette’s group offers this service too and I have heard stories of them cleansing locations and trying to help those in need.

Ghosts of the Prairie, on the other hand, is only interested in the investigation and never attempts to take the additional step of helping people. At least I have never heard of them offering or attempting this service. Ghosts of the Prairie is only concerned with selling books and additional tours but I truly believe the Antoinette group is truly concerned with helping people, which is what I believe in too.

So if you are in Alton and have time to attend two tours then attend both. But if you only have time for one, then I would recommend the Antoinette tour. You’ll get the most value for your money by visiting more locations. Plus you will get a chance to actually visit three locations as compared with two by Ghosts of the Prairie.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger hsdajr said...

I agree with your assessment, Jeff, although did you ask Len whether they assist people with their hauntings? If so, I didn't realize it. I too, agree with assisting those having problems with the paranormal, even it's it's referring the people to a specific group, priest, etc.

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home