Where Are The Parents?

Friday, November 18, 2005
My friend Kit posted a great Blog regarding the Devaluation of Human Life.
http://kitborn.blogspot.com/

I understand where his heart is, and it is in the right place, but my view of the situation if a little different. My response to his blog is below:

You are absolutely correct when you talk about the devaluation of life. I’m not sure if I agree with you completely on why. The fault of all these scenarios falls squarely to the parents and only the parents.

Extremists are a cancer in our culture whether they are extreme “left” or extreme “right”. For harmony to exist there must be balance and too much of a good thing is bad; even if that good thing is religion. The guy wanting to remove God for our money is just as big of a whacko as the guy wanting to teach only creationism in our schools.

While the ACLU makes me angry for their support of bigots and whackos I understand why they exist and I am glad they do exist. For example, I did not like it when they supported the right of neo-Nazi’s to have their own website to solicit new members, but when I heard the reason why I felt better. Basically, our Constitution supports free speech in any public forum and they seek to ensure the Constitution is enforced. Just because this neo-Nazi opinion is unpopular is no reason to censor it. If their opinions are expressed then they will be exposed for who they really are and people will choose not to listen; and that is a microcosm of how America is supposed to work.

Tax dollars should never be spent on religious items. While I am Christian and I put up my Christmas tree and like to look at my manger, I do not agree that my manger should be displayed in City Hall. City Hall is supposed to be neutral ground and should never support or oppose any religions. Surely you can see the danger in governments supporting or oppressing religions.

The primary reason for the devaluation of life is a cultural breakdown because of the lack of good parents in our culture. Kids are being raised in broken homes with no fathers. Fathers translate into discipline. This age of “free love” must end for the sake of the children. It is a huge breakdown in our society when children are born into homes where they are not wanted or homes unprepared to raise them. I wonder where the parents where while their kids were our killing people?

Parents are the real problem and the root of all evil perpetrated by these children. Parents should know where their kids are, who their friends are and the parents of their friends. Parents should never allow television, video games, other kids or other parents to raise their kids; and if they are not ready for this responsibility then they should never have kids in the first place.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you on parents instilling good character and moral values in their kids. I agree with your observation that our society in general and civility have broken down to very low levels, however, with this caveat: This trend you've observed exists solely in CITIES, but not in rural America.

For the vast majority of rural America, people are still polite, courteous, moral, and friendly as they've always been. You'll see almost everyone hold the door for anyone, even a stranger. You'll hear "thank you man" and "no sir" in almost every spoken sentence, in public and private. When driving in rural America, almost every driver of a vehicle you meet on the other side of the yellow line will wave at you, even if they don't know you, or your vehicle. Everyone shows respect for everyone else.

There are exceptions to the rule here, just as there are in cities. But the disintegration of society in general isn't happening in rural America, only in cities.

For this reason, and many others, it is always a breath of fresh air to go back home, and visit my folks. To me, where I grew up is REAL America, not the impolite hustle and bustle of city folk, along with their middle fingers and honking at you in a traffic jam, as if it's your fault.

-- Stan

11:26 AM  
Blogger DarthImmortal said...

Stan,

You are absolutely correct about small town hospitality. We noticed it in Branson, in fact, I am so used to bad customer service that it made me uncomfortable.

Darth

12:12 PM  
Blogger mmhilbert said...

Yep. I have fond memories of visiting relatives in rural Mississippi. Driving around near there house always seemed to get someone to wave.

7:36 PM  
Blogger mmhilbert said...

While I do agree that parents play a vital role in this issue, let us not forget the other factors that also have a cause/effect relationship. As one moves down the food chain, we find that one job doesn't pay the bills for many families (broken or not). This means that double-shifts overtime or a second job become more commonplace.

While there are many reasons for a person to be in such a situation, I think you can see the domino effect that begins to emerge.

I am reading an excellent book right now that deals with families that are on the threshold of poverty where the simplest setback such as a car that won't start, begins a spiral effect that many families higher up the chain do not face.

The book review at Amazon: The Working Poor

Anyway, my point is that I agree that parents are vital here, but there are mitigating circumstances at work here as well.

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home